Erin Oyama handles all aspects of civil litigation at both the state and federal levels. She represents financial institutions, restaurants, hotels, directors, officers, and other individuals in a wide range of commercial litigation and employment matters. Her trial practice includes first chair and second chair experience and multiple appearances in California appellate courts.
- Substantial experience in employer practices and policies counseling, including reviewing, updating, and drafting employee handbooks and other employment documents.
- Successfully defended numerous employers against wage and hour, discrimination, and harassment claims.
- Obtained a $600,000 judgment on behalf of an international fast food chain against a former employee.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of janitorial staffing company in a multi-million dollar federal wage and hour class action.
- Assisted numerous business executives in obtaining favorable severance packages.
- Represented a finance executive against his former employer, a global financial services firm, in a federal multi-million dollar employment matter. Achieved a seven figure settlement on the eve of trial.
- Represented and appeared on behalf of employers at hearings and conferences at various agencies, including the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, and California Employment Development Department.
- Established that employee's discrimination claims were meritless, resulting in employee dismissing his action against shipping and transportation company in exchange for waiver of fees and costs.
- Utilized filing of request for pre-judgment writ of attachment and motion for summary judgment to obtain multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of dairy farm business.
- Obtained complete defense on behalf of defendant sued for millions of dollars in malicious prosecution action.
- Obtained full reversal of trial court judgment on behalf of defendant in malicious prosecution action.
- Obtained reversal of trial court post-judgment order awarding attorneys' fees on behalf of defendant sued in real estate matter.
- Successfully defended and obtained judgment after trial on behalf of business owner against claims by former spouse that he had concealed assets prior to the dissolution of their marriage. Subsequently represented the client at the Court of Appeal, which affirmed the trial court's judgment.
- Successfully represented Trustee in opposing petition in trust litigation matter involving the assets of a major entertainment mogul. Subsequently represented the client at the Court of Appeal, which affirmed the trial court's ruling.
- Represented an equipment leasing company in a breach of contract action against a hospital chain. Obtained a pre-judgment order for return of the equipment and judgment for $650,000.
- University of California, Irvine, B.A. magna cum laude (2007)
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D. (2010)
- Court Admissions
- State of California
- U.S. District Court (Northern, Central, Southern, Eastern Districts of California)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Practice Areas
- Business Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Trust Litigation
- Other Professional Experience
- Ms. Oyama has also worked as an extern for the Honorable Robert M. Takasugi, in the United States District Court in Los Angeles, California.