Norman J. Rodich
Mr. Rodich is a trial attorney with over 34 years of experience. Since joining Palmieri Tyler in 1986, he has represented clients in a wide range of legal matters including breach of contract actions, corporate and partnership disputes and dissolutions, disputes involving real estate purchase and sale transactions, lease disputes, quiet title actions, easement and boundary line disputes, disputes involving real estate brokers and agents, unfair competition, trade secrets, and insurance litigation.
Mr. Rodich also represents real estate developers and general contractors in complex real estate, construction defect and insurance litigation. Mr. Rodich has successfully handled and resolved numerous multi-party suits and pre-litigation disputes on behalf of developers and general contractors with the participation of insurance carriers.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Rodich serves as a neutral in complex business, real estate, and construction litigation cases.
- Represented German corporation in action against California distributor for breach of distributorship agreement. Tried case in United States District Court, Central District of California. Obtained judgment in favor of client for full amount sought, together with costs and attorney’s fees.
- Represented general contractor in litigation with subcontractor for breach of subcontract agreement. Tried case to jury and obtained favorable judgment for client.
- Represented Japanese toy manufacturer in litigation with California distributor. Conducted depositions at U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, Japan, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Represented residential developer in defense of multimillion-dollar suit for catastrophic personal injuries and related litigation involving insurance coverage issue of first impression in California. Defeated carrier’s motion for summary judgment and negotiated favorable settlement funded entirely with insurance proceeds.
- Represented plaintiff in financial elder abuse litigation. Recovered client’s interest in multimillion-dollar commercial property.
- Represented guarantor in suit brought by financial institution for breach of guaranty. Achieved favorable settlement resulting in substantial write-down of principal.
- Represented trucking company in binding arbitration of cargo claim. Obtained award in favor of client on all claims together with attorney’s fees and costs.
- Represented real estate broker in suit filed by prospective purchaser for alleged failure to communicate offer. Case dismissed after court ruled that complaint failed to state any cause of action against client.
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented landlord and landlord’s counsel in suit by lessee’s alleged assignee for breach of commercial lease and fraud. Complaint sought in excess of $5.5 million in compensatory damages plus punitive damages. Also represented landlord in cross-action against alleged assignee for damage to premises. After 9-day court trial, court entered judgment in favor of landlord and landlord’s counsel on plaintiff’s complaint and in favor of landlord on landlord’s cross-complaint, and awarded attorney’s fees and costs to both clients.
- Represented tenant in suit brought by landlord for alleged breach of commercial lease and related cross-action. After six-week jury trial, court entered net judgment in favor of client.
- Represented commercial landlord in action by tenant for defense and indemnification in one of largest environmental contamination cases in Orange County history. Negotiated complex agreement whereby client’s and tenant’s insurers paid entire cost of defending both client and tenant.
- Represented plaintiff in binding arbitration of dispute over liquidated damages in connection with real estate transaction. Arbitrator ruled in favor of client on all claims and awarded client all damages sought, including costs of arbitration.
- Represented plaintiff in action to quiet title to vacant land in Riverside County. After court trial, court entered judgment quieting title in favor of client.
- Represented plaintiff in action for breach of contract and specific performance in connection with purchase of a luxury home. Halted defendant’s pending sale of home to third party by recording lis pendens against the property, successfully opposed defendant’s motion to expunge the lis pendens, and obtained substantial monetary settlement for client.
- Represented property owner in easement dispute with neighboring property owner. Developed, negotiated, and implemented innovative settlement strategy involving relocation of access road, resulting in improvement of both properties and avoidance of substantial litigation costs.
- Represented property owners in boundary dispute with adjoining property owners. Obtained favorable settlement involving monetary payment to client.
- University of California, Davis, A.B., with honors, Economics, minor in English (1983)
- University of California, Davis School of Law, J.D., U.C. Davis Law Review (1986)
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Mediation Training (2016)
- Court Admissions
- State of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association (CLA)
- Member, Litigation Section Executive Committee (1996 to 2000)
- Advisor, Litigation Section Executive Committee (2000 to present)
- Statewide Chair, Litigation Section Education Programs Committee (2000 to present); responsible for organizing and coordinating continuing legal education programs for the Litigation Section throughout the State of California.
- Other Professional Experience
- Mr. Rodich served as an extern to the Honorable Associate Justice Cruz Reynoso of the California Supreme Court (1985).
- Presentations and Publications
- Moderator, Cross Examining Experts, CLA Annual Meeting 2018 (October 16, 2018)
- Moderator, Being Human: Building a Relationship with Your Jurors, CLA Annual Meeting 2019 (October 10, 2019)
- Podcast, On the Road with Legal Talk Network, CLA Annual Meeting 2018: Cross Examining Experts (October 16, 2018)
- Podcast, On the Road with Legal Talk Network, CLA Annual Meeting 2019: Litigation Section Continuing Legal Education Highlights and Section Updates (October 11, 2019)
- November 12, 2014, "New Limits to Employee Coverage Under an Employer's CGL" Daily Journal
- Community Involvement
- Mr. Rodich is the Chair of the State Bar Litigation Section's "Law Suits" statewide charitable clothing donation program, which he founded in 1996. Under the auspices of the Law Suits program, thousands of men's and women's business suits and other items of career clothing are collected each year through statewide clothing drives and donated to non-profit organizations dedicated to helping adults in crisis re-enter the workforce.
- Mr. Rodich has received a number of community service awards for his work in connection with the Law Suits program including the President's Volunteer Service Award, which Mr. Rodich received from the President's Council on Civic Participation in 2006.
- Practice Areas
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution & Mediation