Norman J. Rodich
Mr. Rodich is a business and real estate litigation attorney with 28 years of experience. He has successfully represented clients in a wide range of legal areas, including real estate purchase and sale disputes, lease disputes, quiet title actions, specific performance actions, easement and boundary disputes, fraud actions, defense of ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) suits, disputes involving real estate brokers and agents, unfair competition, contract actions, insurance litigation, business torts, corporate disputes, corporate dissolutions, partnership disputes, and employment litigation.
Mr. Rodich also represents real estate developers and general contractors in complex real estate, construction defect and insurance litigation. Mr. Rodich has successfully handled and resolved numerous multi-party suits and pre-litigation disputes on behalf of developers and general contractors with the participation of insurance carriers.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Rodich serves as a mediator in complex business, real estate, and construction litigation cases.
- Successfully represented German manufacturer of heat exchangers in action against California corporation for breach of distributorship agreement. Tried case in United States District Court, Central District of California. Obtained judgment in favor of client for full amount sought, together with costs and attorney's fees.
- Successfully represented general contractor in litigation with subcontractor for breach of subcontract agreement. Tried case to jury and obtained favorable judgment for client.
- Successfully represented Japanese toy manufacturer in litigation with California distributor. Conducted depositions at U.S. Embassy in Tokyo, Japan.
- Successfully represented residential developer in defense of multimillion-dollar suit for catastrophic personal injuries and related litigation involving insurance coverage issue of first impression in California.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in financial elder abuse litigation. Recovered client's interest in multimillion-dollar commercial property.
- Successfully represented guarantor in suit brought by financial institution for breach of guaranty. Achieved favorable settlement resulting in substantial write-down of principal.
- Successfully represented real estate broker in suit filed by prospective purchaser for alleged failure to communicate offer. Case dismissed after court ruled that complaint failed to state any cause of action against client.
Real Estate Litigation
- Successfully represented tenant in suit brought by landlord for alleged breach of commercial lease and related cross-action. After six-week jury trial, court entered net judgment in favor of client and against landlord.
- Successfully represented commercial landlord in action by tenant for defense and indemnification in one of largest environmental contamination cases in Orange County history. Negotiated complex agreement whereby client's and tenant's insurers paid entire cost of defending both client and tenant. Court granted summary judgment in favor of all defendants, and client avoided tens of millions in defense costs and potential liability.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in arbitration of dispute over liquidated damages in connection with real estate transaction. Arbitrator ruled in favor of client on all claims and awarded client all damages sought, including costs of arbitration.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in action to quiet title to vacant land in Riverside County. After court trial, court entered judgment quieting title in favor of client.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in action for breach of contract and specific performance in connection with purchase of a luxury home. Halted defendant's pending sale of home to third party by recording lis pendens against the property, successfully opposed defendant's motion to expunge the lis pendens, and obtained substantial monetary settlement for client.
- Successfully represented property owner in easement dispute with neighboring property owner. Developed, negotiated, and implemented innovative settlement strategy involving relocation of access road, resulting in improvement of both properties and avoidance of substantial litigation costs.
- University of California, Davis, A.B., with honors, Economics, minor in English (1983)
- University of California, Davis School of Law, J.D., U.C. Davis Law Review (1986)
- Court Admissions
- State of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Professional Memberships and Activities
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Mr. Rodich has served on the Orange County Bar Association Education Committee and lectured on various topics including civil procedure and construction litigation.
- He is also a member of the California Continuing Education of the Bar Civil Litigation Advisory Committee.
- Mr. Rodich has also been actively involved with the Litigation Section of the State Bar of California. He has served as a member of the Executive Committee of the Litigation Section and is the Statewide Chair of the Litigation Section's Education Committee.
- Other Professional Experience
- Mr. Rodich served as an extern to the Honorable Associate Justice Cruz Reynoso of the California Supreme Court.
- Presentations and Publications
- As Statewide Chair of the Litigation Section of the State Bar of California, Mr. Rodich is responsible for organizing and coordinating continuing legal education programs for the Litigation Section throughout the State of California. Mr. Rodich is a member of the California Continuing Education of the Bar Civil Litigation Advisory Committee and has served on the Orange County Bar Association Education Committee. He has lectured on various continuing legal education topics including civil procedure and construction litigation.
- November 12, 2014, "New Limits to Employee Coverage Under an Employer's CGL" Daily Journal
- Community Involvement
- Mr. Rodich is the Chair of the State Bar Litigation Section's "Law Suits" statewide charitable clothing donation program, which he founded in 1996. Under the auspices of the Law Suits program, thousands of men's and women's business suits and other items of career clothing are collected each year through statewide clothing drives and donated to non-profit organizations dedicated to helping adults in crisis re-enter the workforce.
- Mr. Rodich has received a number of community service awards for his work in connection with the Law Suits program including the President's Volunteer Service Award, which Mr. Rodich received from the President's Council on Civic Participation in 2006.
- Practice Areas
- Business Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution & Mediation
- Product Liability
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Eminent Domain and Valuation Litigation
- Real Estate